My visitors

Wednesday 26 August 2015

The SC & more n°288: Pencil case

Children are going back to school! Next week in France, this week already in Germany! This is the occasion for Isabelle to give us a challenge theme which is quite "common" BUT that leaves room for a lot of various interpretations. Every year we can "re-invent" the pencil case

My own children are not going to school yet and already have many cases anyway, so I was looking for an idea. Suddenly I remembered that my brother (currently visiting us) is using a washing mitt for storing his toothbrush and toothpaste when he goes on his scout camps and travels. It is quite good because the fabric absorbs the water, but on the other hand it is completely open and doesn't hold the brush and tube so well. 

So I made this for A. and even machine-embroider (with my basic sewing-machine) his initial:
Material used:
- old jeans
- terry cloth
- thread
- Snap button


I broke a needle in the process, two layers of jeans + 2 layers of terry cloth was a little much. the two sides at the bottom are not completely sewn for several reasons: first, my machine would not even go there! It was far too thick. Second, I thought a bit of "air" coming in was no such a bad idea. And finally I decided to pull a cord through, so that A. has the possibility to hand it somewhere if he likes. If he doesn't want to use it, he can also just easily take it off.

So what do you think? Like it? My son has already begged me for the same :)

Check out the other cases there.

12 comments: