My visitors

Sunday 1 September 2013

Gardening for children

Have you ever wanted to do some gardening with your children without them getting very dirty and full of soil?

If so, then this little garden is for you! I found the original idea there and asked the author for permission to use her idea without buying her pattern since I wanted to make it different. She did accept. That means that I can now present you this piece of hardwork that I have sewn with a lot of love for my goddaughter, little H. She turned 3 last month. She is such a big girl now!


Here I've had to do a bit of last minute patching up! I had cut the side bands a little too short!
I cut two orange semi-circles of 9cm diametre, then cut them in two each and I obtained four carrotts. Same again with pink felt but 7,5cm diametre and that was the radish. To be honest, I do not remember the size of my cabbages... I had an attempt with a 4cm circle but it gave me a very small cabbage, so the three others circles were bigger.

For the soil patches:

x3 = 7x17cm rectangles for the bottoms
x1 = 10x20cm - cutting four 1,5cm squares on the four sides to obtain a 7x17x1,5 patch
x1 = 15x25cm - cutting four 4cm squares on the four sides to obtain a 7x17x4 patch
x1 = 17x27cm -  cutting four 5cm squares on the four sides to obtain a 7x17x5 patch

The two highest patches (4 and 5 cm) have four holes in which I included a case of the shape and size of the vegetable that would come inside.

The box:

 x1 = 30x21cm / x2 = 21x6cm / x2 = 30x6cm

The lid:
x1 =  21,5x31cm / x2 = 21x3cm / x1 = 31x3cm


The watering can was made randomly with scrapes of felt and the little figure remains without a face on purpose. At first I wanted to make it all pretty and fully dressed, but in the end I opted for something which would leave more room for imagination: a blank character with just an apron and a funny hat.
The hat had to be pink by the way because H. does have a lot of pink around her, I suspect her mum and herself rather like the colour ;) ... I must confess that I do too! 


So there we go.



A garden for a 3yo girl who can play planting vegs and collecting them even on a rainy day, without having to wait for the seeds to grow, and she can even pretend to cook those vegs with her cooking playset! 

I must say that I am rather proud of my achievement :)

2 comments: